Everyone likes a good pork butt and there are many different recipes out there that claim to make the best pork butt you have ever had. However, some recipes end up with you making something that even your dog wouldn’t eat. This is why it is so important to find the best recipe possible. One of the best ways to cook your pork butt is to cook it in your electric smoker. The smoker cooks the meat evenly and the pork will melt in your mouth.
Ingredients You Will Need
Below are the ingredients that you will need to make the perfect pork butt.
• Pork butt. Generally, around 10 pounds is best.
• Wood chips. Apple, pecan, and hickory are all great choices.
• ¼ cup of salt.
• 1/3 cup paprika. (Preferably smoked)
• ¼ Black pepper. (ground)
• ¼ cup of brown sugar.
• 3 tablespoons of ground cumin.
• 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper.
• 2 tablespoon ground coriander.
• ¼ cup chili powder
• 1 cup of apple cider
• 1 cup of apple cider vinegar.
Once you have compiled all your ingredients, you will want to start the process of getting the roast ready for cooking. Proper handling is key not only for safety but for the flavor of your roast. Handle with care and your roast will be delicious.
• Step 1. Removal of fat. Go over your pork butt and remove the extra layer of fat. You will need a very sharp knife to do this.
• Step 2. Score the meat. Go across the fatty part of the meat, which will be on the lower side and do a tic tac toe pattern. This will ensure that the meat is flavored well and that the flavor reaches the meat.
• Step 3. Set up your electric smoker. Get your electric smoker out and begin the set-up process. Make sure that you fill the water box and place the wood chips. After you have it completely set up, turn the electric cooker on and let it preheat for an hour.
• Step 4. Mix the ingredients. Take all your ingredients except for the apple cider and vinegar. Mix them all together in the bowl.
• Step 5. Rub down. Rub your pork butt down with the mixture. Make sure that you rub the meat thoroughly to ensure that the flavor gets into the meat well.
• Step 6. Place the meat in the cooker. Make sure that you place the meat in the smoker with the fatty side of the meat down.
• Step 7. Cook the meat for at least five hours before taking it out for the next seasoning phase. This is a slow cooking method so doing it slowly will allow you to get the most flavor out of your meat.
• Step 8. Vinegar and cider seasoning. After five hours, you will want to remove the meat from the smoker and place on an aluminum foil sheet. You will then want to mix the vinegar and apple cider together and pour this mixture all over the meat. Be extremely careful when doing this step.
• Step 9. Cover with foil and put back in the smoker. Cover the meat with the aluminum foil and put back into the smoker for 6-8 hours.
• Step 10. Test the temperature of your meat. Once it reaches the desired temperature, remove and let rest for 1 hour. Serve and enjoy.
Using your electric smoker will allow you to have the best pork butt you have ever had. Remember to take your time and cook slowly. Don’t be afraid to mix some of the seasonings up. Play around with seasonings that you like to create the best pork butt imaginable. It will be tender and juicy, like nothing you have ever eaten before.